Hot chocolate is, without a doubt, a winter staple. That’s why you need this easy creamy white hot chocolate in your life!
The weather is miserable here in chilly Scotland, but hey, what’s new? Get your booty into the kitchen and cheer yourself up with a big mug of proper creamy hot chocolate.
We’ve all had it in some form or another, whether it be a gritty mug of semi-skimmed milk with Cadbury powder from a petrol station, a bowl-sized concoction piled with cream from some mum-and-baby-filled cafe, or the tall sweet syrup-swirled milky affairs from big brand coffee shops. It can be good, it can be meh.
This hot chocolate wants to kick those other hot chocolates to the kerb. This easy creamy white hot chocolate is homemade, it’s cheap and you can have it in your mouth in just 3 minutes. Shoutout to my Christmas spoons.
Gentle, vanilla sweetness and the warm embrace of real white chocolate fill this milky drink. No fancy syrups, no giant carton of powder to clog up your tea cupboard, just your favourite white chocolate melted smoothly into your favourite milk. I would recommend full fat varieties of milk to make this the best it can be, no one wants runny watery hot chocolate. Go make it.
To do so, pour your favourite milk into a mug until it’s about 3cm away from being full. This is to stop any overflow when you add your toppings! You can add cream here too if you want to make it even more delicious!
Pop the mug of milk into the microwave and heat on high for around 2 minutes until piping hot and you can smell that lovely hot-milk-scent. The milk may form a little skin because of the heat, this is normal.
While the milk is heating, chop your white chocolate into small 1cm chunks. No need for any expensive stuff here, good old Milky Bar did me fine!
Once the milk is hot and steamy, drop in the chopped white chocolate and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Leave this to sit for 30 seconds, then stir well to combine everything into a smooth, creamy drink.
Pile on some whipped cream, sprinkles, marshmallows or whatever you like to decorate the hot chocolate. I’m not a fan of whipped cream in drinks, so I just sprinkle in some mini marshmallows and let them melt for a minute!
That’s all there is to it!
I’m serious, you’re done. Go sit down, turn on some trashy TV and enjoy your delicious homemade easy creamy white hot chocolate, you deserve it.
Smooth, rich and easy creamy white hot chocolate that you can make at home for half the price and half the sugar of those made by the big brand coffee shops!
- 1 mug of your favourite milk (full fat options are always better!)
- 4-6 squares of your favourite white chocolate (40g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, sprinkles or mini marshmallows to decorate (optional)
- Pour your favourite milk into a mug until it's about 3cm away from being full.
- Pop the mug of milk into the microwave and heat on high for around 2 minutes until piping hot and you can smell that lovely hot-milk-scent.
- While the milk is heating, chop your chocolate into small 1cm chunks.
- Once the milk is hot and steamy, drop in the chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Leave to sit for 30 seconds, then stir well to combine everything into a smooth, creamy drink.
- Pile on some cream, sprinkles, marshmallows or whatever you like to decorate the hot chocolate.
*This recipe is easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled if you need to keep your family and friends happy!
*This recipe works well with milk or dark hot chocolate too!
*Why not make it even more delicious? Add a little cream to the milk!