Nutella Banana Granola; sweet, crispy clusters of chocolate hazelnut oats that make a perfect breakfast or snack!
Is there any more blissful a food pairing than chocolate and bananas?
Didn’t think so.
Rich gooey Nutella and sliced sweet bananas are two of my favourite foods on this planet, and luckily for me and my fellow Ferrero fans, it’s socially acceptable to eat them for breakfast.
The two go well on ice cream, waffles, toast and when wrapped in a fresh crepe, all warm and oozing all over the place…but when you don’t have time to make and cook perfect crepes before work every morning, I hereby provide an alternative!
Nutella Banana Granola. Oh yes, I went there.
By melting the mashed banana with syrup and everyone’s favourite chocolate hazelnut spread before mixing with oats, nuts and seeds, you can create the most divine crunchy granola with more clusters than you can shake a stick at. This tastes better than any shop-bought granola, and manages to stay nutritious and healthy at the same time. Can I get a hallelujah?
I got the idea for mixing chocolate and banana into granola from a great US food blog called Sally’s Baking Addiction and though her recipe provides a great starting point, I must say I much prefer this one! This Nutella Banana Granola is quick, ridiculously easy and keeps for up to 2 weeks (if you can refrain from eating it before then obviously!).
My apologies for the lack of photographs by the way, I was very sleepy as I made this last night and was simply too impatient not to post this recipe today…
This makes a decent amount of granola which is perfect for sprinkling on yoghurt, serving with a splash of milk or just grabbing handfuls to snack on. I really urge you to try this one out if you’re a Nutella fan. Plus, it’s really customisable too!
First, you’ll need to preheat your oven and look out a couple of baking trays.
Place your oats, nuts and seeds into a large bowl, mix and set aside.
Mash the banana in a medium bowl and add the Nutella, maple syrup and vanilla.
Pop the bowl of wet ingredients into a microwave for 20-30 seconds on full power until the ingredients are melted. Stir to combine.
Pour the mixed wet ingredients into the bowl of oats, nuts and seeds, add a pinch of salt and mix to incorporate.
When all the dry ingredients have a nice lick of chocolatey-syrupy goodness, pour the mixture onto the baking trays, spreading it into a single layer on each. This helps it crisp up nicely.
Pop the trays into the oven and bake until crisp and lightly browned, stirring once halfway through to ensure even baking and perfect crunchy clusters.
Once baked, remove the trays of Nutella Banana Granola from the oven and allow them to cool before adding the chocolate chips (if using) and transferring to an airtight container (or your mouth).
This granola is bound to knock your sleepy little socks off if you eat it for breakfast. The Nutella gives this cluster-laced wonder the most lovely chocolatey undertone without being too rich or heavy, perfect for any time of day and undoubtedly addictive!
If you need to stock up on ingredients or equipment to make this Nutella Banana Granola, simply click on any of the images below:
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Crispy clusters of Nutella banana granola heaven...for breakfast!
- 300g (3 cups) rolled/porridge oats
- 60g (½ cup) hazelnuts, chopped (or any other nuts)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (or a larger amount of any other seeds)
- 1 banana
- 85g (¾ cup) Nutella
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 80g (3 oz) chocolate chips (optional, and delicious!)
- First, preheat your oven – 180°C / 160°C / 350°F / gas mark 4, and look out a couple of baking trays.
- Place your oats, nuts and seeds into a large bowl, mix and set aside.
- Mash the banana in a medium bowl and add the Nutella, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Pop the bowl of wet ingredients into a microwave for 20-30 seconds on full power until the ingredients are melted. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixed wet ingredients into the bowl of oats, nuts and seeds, add a pinch of salt and mix to incorporate.
- When all the dry ingredients are coated, pour the mixture onto the baking trays, spreading it into a single layer on each.
- Pop the trays into the oven and bake for 20 minutes until crisp and lightly browned, stirring once halfway through.
- Once baked, remove the trays of granola from the oven and allow them to cool for 15-20 minutes before adding the chocolate chips (if using) and transferring to an airtight container.