Dairy Free Triple Chocolate Brownies; rich, dense, and fudgey triple chocolate brownies made with no dairy. Like velvet in your mouth!
These marvellous squares of rich chocolatey goodness came about with absolutely no planning.
Always the best way, don’t you think? Who needs plans?
With short notice to bake something dairy free, my mind boggled. So many options, but what do make for maximum taste, texture and show-off power?? The answer, as it should always be, was brownies.
Dense, rich, fudgey, dairy free triple chocolate brownies. Loaded with cocoa, dark chocolate and melting pockets of chocolate chips. A perfect crackly top just barely covering the soft, velvet centre of these bold and beautiful brownies. Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.
This recipe was based on my favourite ever brownie recipe – last year’s Quadruple Chocolate Brownies – and the result as always, did not disappoint! I simply swapped the butter out for coconut oil, which makes the brownies lighter in your mouth, and replaced all the milk chocolate with dark chocolate, most of which is naturally dairy free if it’s over 70% cocoa. I’m so delighted with how they’ve turned out, and I really hope you’ll try them, even if you don’t follow a non-dairy diet!
True to form, this recipe is easy and even though they take a little while to bake, there’s very little effort on your part. Perfect, huh?
You’ll need to start by preheating your oven and greasing and lining a tin to bake the brownies in, both 8×8 or 8×12 inch tins have worked well for me. I use great disposable ones from Lakeland!
Melt some dairy free dark chocolate (most 70% dark chocolate is naturally dairy free!) and either some coconut oil or dairy free butter/margarine together gently in a heatproof bowl either in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water until smooth.
While the chocolate and butter melt, weigh your flour and cocoa powder into a small bowl and set aside.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, sugar, vanilla and salt until just combined.
Once melted and not too hot, pour the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of egg mixture and whisk to incorporate.
Tip in the flour and cocoa mixture, and a good handful or two of dairy free chocolate chips and gently fold together with a spoon or spatula until just combined. I thoroughly recommend tasting the mixture at this point, it’s soooooooo good.
Pour the gorgeously thick chocolatey brownie batter into the prepared tin and bake until the brownies are no longer wobbly and have a nice shiny, crackled top.
Allow to cool completely before slicing if you can! I completely understand that the wait for these dairy free triple chocolate brownies is an excruciating one, but slicing them warm can just become a gooey mess!
Now go forth, bake, and relish in the bliss of these dairy free triple chocolate brownies!
Click on any of the images below if you need to stock up on equipment or ingredients to make these lovely brownies:
Rich, fudgey dairy free triple chocolate brownies; like velvet in your mouth!
- 250g coconut oil or dairy free butter/margarine
- 250g dairy free dark chocolate
- 65g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 275g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Good pinch of salt
- 100g dairy free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven - 160 degrees for conventional ovens or 140 degrees for fan ovens.
- Grease and line a tin to bake the brownies in, both 8x8 or 8x12 inch tins have worked well for me.
- Melt your coconut oil/dairy free butter and chocolate together gently in a heatproof bowl either in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water until smooth.
- While the chocolate and butter melt, weigh your flour and cocoa powder into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, sugar, vanilla and salt until just combined.
- Once melted and not too hot, pour the oil/butter/chocolate mixture into the bowl of egg mixture and whisk to incorporate.
- Tip in the flour and cocoa mixture and your chocolate chips and gently fold together with a spoon or spatula until just combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until the brownies are no longer wobbly and have a nice shiny, crackled top.
- Allow to cool for at least 45 minutes before slicing if you can! (This isn't a quick bake, but it's so worth it)
*Coconut oil is the ideal replacement for butter but it does add a mild coconut flavour, so use something else if you don't like the taste!
*Feel free to add fruit, nuts or extra chocolate to this recipe, it's pretty adaptable!